Tuesday, March 25, 2014

The Book Of Mormon

Tonight I finished the Book of Mormon.  I have gotten so much out of it this time, especially 3rd Nephi on.  So many scriptures that invite us to “Come Unto Me”/”Come Unto Christ”  which is this year’s youth theme Moroni 10:32 “Come unto Christ and be perfected in him…”
Come Unto Christ : 2014 Theme Song
He's the One who healed the leper,
And who brought the dead to life.
He's the One who fed the hungry,
And gave the blind their sight.

He's the One who walked on water,
Then He brought them safe to shore,
And whenever you may need Him,
He's the One you're looking for.

So let Him in,
and He will take away your pain.
When you feel His love
You'll never be the same.

Come unto Christ.
Come unto Him,
And by His grace
Be made holy again.

He's calling your name.
He's waiting for you
With arms open wide.
Come unto Christ.

He's the One who taught forgiveness,
and who showed a better way.
He's the One who helped the hopeless
And those who'd gone astray.

He's the Savior and Redeemer,
The Bread of Life, the Price of Peace.
If you're hungry, lost or captive -
He's the One who'll set you free.

So let Him in,
and you'll remember who you are.
He will mold your life
And change your willing heart.

Come unto Christ.
Come unto Him,
And by His grace
Be made holy again.

He's calling your name.
He's waiting for you
With arms open wide.
Come unto Christ.

And you will find eternal life.

Come unto Christ.
Come unto Him,
And by His grace
Be made holy again.

He's calling your name.
He's waiting for you
With arms open wide.
Come unto Christ.

Moroni 7 is all about faith, hope, and charity.  C.S. Lewis said “the son of God became man so he can enable men to become sons of God.”  In Moroni 7:48 we are challenged to become like him.  I just love that!  The “pride cycle” goes on and on throughout the scriptures.  It got me thinking how many times I have gone through that.  I know of many instances.  Most of them were caused by sins of omission.  I asked myself where am I pitching my tent.  Christ has his arms stretched out to us; he just needs us to take a step toward him.  This time through the scriptures I noted the use of the word ‘heart’ it is used to common because what we value in our hearts drives our actions.  Another gem I found was in 3 Nephi 11:29 ‘the spirit of contention is not of me” I think that is so important to remember.  In the sacrament prayer as we renew our baptismal covenant we promise to always remember him so that we may always have his spirit to be with him.  If we want to partake of that blessing we must act in a way that will invite the spirit to dwell within us continually.  The Lord also commands us to Arise.  I just love that word, Arise.  He is calling us to stand as a witness of him and to share his gospel.  We don’t realize how many people are watching us and learning from us, so we must always act in a way that is in harmony with the spirit so we can allow the spirit to touch those we come in contact with through us.  This gospel is so great, it allows us to choose.  We must choose what we allow to enter and grow within our hearts.  We are also given the opportunity to change through the atonement of Christ and turn back onto the path towards him and change our hearts.  If there is one thing to keep in mind always is that the gospel requires you to be “all in” to receive of all the blessings God has in store for you.  Be anxiously engaged in a good cause; remember all that is good cometh from God.  He wants you to be happy in this life, and to return to him someday on our path to change and become like him.  I know that this book is true. It has blessed my life and helped me each and every day.  I know that God lives and loves me.  I know that I have an opportunity to change and become more like him and be able to live with him again.  Each day I read this poem.  “God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.  Living one day at a time; Enjoying one moment at a time; Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace; Taking, as He did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it; Trusting that He will make all things right if I surrender to His Will; That I may be reasonably happy in this life and supremely happy with Him Forever in the next.  Amen.  --Reinhold Niebuhr  

No comments:

Post a Comment